From End to End - over £3,000 raised to reduce carbon emissions

So I rode a bicycle from Land's End to John o'Groats between mid-July and mid-August 2007 because I wanted to and also to raise money to reduce carbon emissions.
Thanks to everyone who preferred to sponsor the trip for this mighty cause rather than wring their hands in despair. May the wind not be in your face, the rain not run down your neck, and the sun not burn your skin. Sponsorship as of 16 October 2007: £3,213 (92 sponsors).
The trip blog appears below, most recent posting first (i.e. start at the bottom and work up!).

Where the money has gone

The money raised will help to cut the carbon emissions of the organisation that I worked for and admire – British Quakers. If you’re not a Quaker (nor am I), then please take my word for it that they are worthy recipients of the money.

Simple, contemporary, radical: Quakers were instrumental in setting up Greenpeace, Oxfam, Amnesty, Campaign Against Arms Trade and others, and were also pioneers in the abolition of the slave trade. They've never made oats (that's true). Find out more about Quakers.

The money will help to buy a glamourous new combined heat and power boiler for the Quaker central office, Friends House - these boilers are ecologically responsible, shiny and horribly expensive. Yes, it's a bit boring but it will cut carbon emissions. Find out more about CHP boilers (oh go on!).

20 July 2007

Waterley Bottom

And then it rained in a very edifying way indeed. Languishing in Bath youth hostel waiting for a little meteorological mercy, I took the edge off the emptiness with a little daytime TV. On some morning magazine programme a fellow was showing how he could help people on their life journey with just their date of birth and a photo of their front door. On another channel was golf, which is good for golfers in the way that heavy rain is good for ducks. On another was a news item about the Queen's sodden visit today to the Yeo Valley yoghurt factory, which I passed pretty regally myself on Wednesday. The Queen must know quite a bit about industrial processes by now, having been shown so many. Why do we like to show the Queen all this stuff? Does she substitute for a parent whom we want to tell us well done - a kind of transferential national supermum? Who knows? She probably doesn't - I doubt yoghurt-making processes are a private interest, although no doubt they're engaging in their way. Anyway, I wasn't allowed to blow the telly up so I turned it off and jumped on my bike, checked the instruments and took off into the Cotswolds.
It's a little-known fact that 37% of the world's 'sham, drudgery and broken dreams' consist in a four-mile stretch of the A46 just south of the M4. Very busy, very fast-moving, as well as narrow, hilly and windy, and with Carmina Burana booming constantly in the mental background, it is the epitome of cycling hell (well, apart from Halfords). Add the pouring rain, the slippery road, and my glasses steaming up so I couldn't see much more than fast-moving coloured blobs, and there's a voyage of mortal peril that I dearly hope my mother never finds out about. Once again, I want to emphasise that it's not a perilous road, but a road full of perilous people (with a couple of exceptions) all too greedy with time to slow down - they'd rather put my life at risk.
Coming off the Cotswold edge into the valley and another problem raised its boily head - floods turning the roads into rivers. With local advice, I managed to avoid the worst of it and didn't have to ride through anything deeper than a foot. Just before I reached Cam I saw a sign to Waterley Bottoms and stopped to take its photo because I felt an affinity. I now have Hotley Bottom and Waterley Bottoms - I want the full set. Cam is a fairtrade town (I wonder if the local Quakers were involved in achieving that) and v cycle friendly (unlike the much larger Bath that ought to know better). A narrow cycle lane offered great views of the Severn estuary that I'd have stopped to enjoy were it not for all the edifying rain running down my neck and chilling my spine. The floods have closed many roads (and railways) tonight, and I might have some problems getting along tomorrow. Still, where there's monomania there's a way.
David

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello soggy bottom, nice to get up-dated on your progress, and glad to READ about the mission of the ride. it's more clear than when you've rambled on about it. keep it you! go go go!! and see you here again soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey - the quakers probably were involved - are they not involved in anything good? Looking forward to seeing the full set of bottom related photos....i feel a coffee table book may be appropriate?
Only a foot of water?? Did you lift your lets up and shout 'weeeeeee'
Loving your blog. Reading it at work on a friday afternoon, laughing out loud and dreaming of traffic free country lanes to cycle along. Good job my boss isn't in. love sarah

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

have finally nanaged to get on-line. Although Colnbrook, Berks is not far from Cowley (Middx) but it might as well be the end of the world in some respects.. I digress. I enjoyed the irony of the sign, the recent weather and your bike ride. As you've nearly managed it to the end there is a wad of dosh waiting for your good cause. Have always wanted to ride over the Forth Bridge on a bike. You might be interested to know you've inspired your "old meeting" in Uxbridge to do something about their energy usage. Cheers and keep going David. Christoph. your one time ex-neighbour